Graduate Certificate of Business
CRICOS Course Code: 105841H
The Graduate Certificate of Business is a one-semester course providing students with graduate-level foundations in essential business skills and knowledge. Students will develop skills in communication, analysis and applying ethical, strategic and effective management principles. Graduates will be equipped in business skills and knowledge, and advanced knowledge of management, accounting and economics. Graduates will also be better prepared for further study should they choose so.
On successful completion of the course, students are awarded the Graduate Certificate of Business. The course meets the Australian Qualifications Framework for an AQF8 Graduate Certificate.
Students may be able to shorten the length of this course through qualifications obtained from other formal studies. AQF qualifications and Statements of Attainment may be recognised by CIC Higher Education. Students who wish to apply for Advanced Standing should contact the College for information on eligibility.
Professional & Community Engagement
Students will have regular contact with industry representatives throughout the course. Guest speakers are a feature of many units, and many assessments and learning activities will mirror real-world challenges.
Industry relevant material
The applied components of the course incorporate material that is specifically relevant for the business management industry.
The course will emphasise a creative and innovative approach to Business education as the key to competitiveness in a dynamic and global economy. It is intended that the course would consist of a combination of both domestic and international students. Students should gain benefits from a broad range of cultural diversity and life experiences of their fellow students.
Students gain an advanced and integrated body of knowledge as well as the skills to analyse, interpret and apply concepts and ideas in business administration. They also gain key skills in researching information, using both online and library materials. All of these factors will help graduates to be lifelong learners.
Mode of Delivery
The course is offered on a full-time basis. Units are delivered in a range of classroom settings, including lectures, workshops, tutorials, immersive simulations, lectorials and seminars
The Graduate Certificate of Business consists of three compulsory core units and one core-choice unit, all delivered in one semester.
- Semester 1
- Accounting for Management Decisions
- Practical Management Principles
- Global Managerial Economics
- And choose one of the following core choice units:
- Financial Decision Making; or
- Marketing Management
The types of assessment permitted at CIC may include the following:
- Exams or tests, either open or closed-book
- Oral presentations
- Written essays and case studies based on real-world current scenarios
- Authentic written assignments.
Other types of assessment may be allowed at CIC following approval by the Dean.
Please refer to our Assessment Policy for further information.
Employment benefits of the Graduate Certificate of Business course include:
- Upskilling in business and management skills and knowledge in the graduate’s existing occupation
- Advanced knowledge of management, accounting, economics and finance for junior or middle managers in IT, healthcare, science, engineering, education or manufacturing
- Better preparation for further study.
Core Learning Outcomes
- Apply an advanced knowledge of business theories and skills to solving real-world business problems
- Analyse data and information to understand complex problems for informed decision making
- Interpret and communicate business and management concepts to a range of audiences and stakeholders
- Apply principles of ethical, strategic and effective management in local contexts.
Please refer to Fees, charges and refunds